Sales Training Article: How to Ask for LinkedIn Referrals & Introductions
By Gary Walker, EVP of Channel Sales & Operations, CustomerCentric Selling® – The Sales Training Company
I thought I’d provide you with some tactical and practical help. The notion of asking an existing customer for a referral has been in sales books and courses forever. However, it has been my experience, and validated by the individuals who enroll in my Prospecting and Business Development Work Sessions, that most salespeople fail to ask their customers or if they do, they don’t know what to do with the referral they receive. In five (5) steps, I’d like to share with you how you can use LinkedIn to obtain Introductions and Referrals beginning immediately:
- Identify the person within LinkedIn you would like to be introduced or referred to.
- Your mutual connections will display on the right of the page.
- If more than one of your connections can make the introduction, choose who you want to make the introduction.
- Click Request an Intro. This will take you to a text box where you can explain why you’re asking for an introduction.
- Click Ask for an Introduction. The message you write may be forwarded to the person you want to be introduced to, so make sure it is professional, succinct, explains how you help your clients, and why you are seeking the introduction.
Take a look at the sales training workshops available to you.